Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Important Upcoming Event (Toronto, On)

Well, I feel like a bad feminist.

Via York's Women's Studies listserve, I have discovered that there is a Take Back the Night event happening on Saturday, September 8, 2007. Unfortunately, my tickets for Vfest are the same day.

Sigh.

*Hangs head in shame* I SWEAR, I bought these tickets back in May as an anniversary gift for me and the boy. It broke the bank for me to get these tickets.

I really think these kinds events are important to attend, so in the very least, I thought I would pass it along and post it here as an upcoming event. Here is the information, straight from my inbox:



Toronto’s 27th Annual Take Back the Night
“We Demand Our Rights”


The Toronto Rape Crisis Centre/Multicultural Women Against Rape (TRCC/MWAR) and community partners from Regent Park host the 27th annual Take Back the Night protest and march on Saturday, September 8, 2007 at Allan Gardens Community Park, main intersections Sherbourne St & Gerrard St.


This year’s theme is ‘We Demand Our Rights’. Take Back the Night is about bringing visibility and exposure to the impact of sexual violence in women’s lives. It’s a space created to ensure our voices are heard.

[...]

“The TBTN march is an event organized by feminist grassroots, anti-violence & anti-oppression activist groups all around the world with a focus on women’s rights & safety for women and children.” says Grissel Orellana, TRCC/MWAR outreach & community development Coordinator. A community fair, rally and protest march has been organized. The march is for women and children only, men are encouraged to attend in solidarity, by participating in the other activities, including the provision of childcare so their partners, mothers, sisters, and aunties can march. TBTN is a Trans -Positive, wheelchair accessible event with ASL interpretation, childcare, food and refreshments.

[...]

You can take action by attending Take Back the Night, spreading the word in your communities and to every woman you know, and marching with us on Sept. 8th. The community fair starts at 5:30pm at the Sherbourne Health Centre 333 Sherbourne Street, rally at 7:00pm at the Allan Gardens Park, and the march at 8:00pm.


The rally and march starts pretty late, so I think I'm going to try and be there.

No comments: