Monday, May 26, 2008

I Am A Diva: A Review

About three periods ago, I switched from tampons over to the Divacup. A friend had recommended it, as well, since I'm not the most environmentally conscious person, I thought this would be a positive thing to do. And so I went.

So far...

Well, the cup certainly takes some getting used to. Due to the Nuvaring, my periods are pretty short, and so its taking me a little longer to get used to using it on a two day period as opposed to my pre-hormonal six-day period. But I figure, I'd rather get used to using a cup than watching discarded tampons choke our lakes so...

It was pretty easy for me to pop it in, but getting it out initially involved a lot of squatting, the likes of which saw my bum hang dangerously close to my bathroom floor (note to self: clean the bathroom more frequently, sheesh). I've used it now for three periods, and the squatting is definitely becoming less extreme and my ease of use is definitely improving. You really do just have to get used to it.

However, since the days of my heavy, over-saturating periods still leaves me with a leakage paranoia (the horror, the horror), I do find myself on heavier days to be using the cup in conjunction with pantyliners. The thing with the cup is, if you don't position it just right, that thing will leak. For the most part, I haven't had too much of an issue, but a pantyliner has come in handy for me more than once so far. And nobody likes a leaker...

Overall, even with minor leaking, and an initial fee of $40, the Divacup is a conscientious move that will pay itself off in the end in more than one way. I find it definitely more sanitary than a tampon, or, ahem, a sanitary napkin, and already cheaper than buying disposable products. And forcing yourself to be so upfront about handling your blood, which you cannot avoid with the cup like you can with tampons, is actually pretty inspiring for liberating yourself from ingrained menstral taboos. My blood is certainly not what I thought it was.

Sometimes though, really, I wish we could go back to the days of The Red Tent and just chill and let it all flow out. It would be such a relief...

Between using the Nuvoring and the Divacup, I'm spending a lot more time getting to know my vag. Sweeeeet.

No comments: